Malaysia to sign US$880m rail link agreement with Singapore on July 30

2 min read
0
0
421

KUALA LUMPUR – Malaysia and Singapore are expected to sign an agreement on the much delayed light rail project linking Johor Baru with neighbouring Singapore on July 30, Malaysian Transport Minister Wee Ka Siong announced on Tuesday.

The Rapid Transit System (RTS) Link was suspended last year due to former Prime minister Mahathir Mohamad promise to review major infrastructure deals.

Both countries agreed to finalised the project by July 31 after the coronavirus pandemic delayed the talks and progress of the project.

Malaysia’s Transport Minister Wee Ka Siong said that the signing will be witnessed by both prime ministers on Johor Causeway – the main gateway for land traffice between both countries.

The RTS Link are expected to be completed by 2026 with the project cost totalling $880.28m or RM 3.75b that will include contruction of a maintenance project which was not included on the earlier proposed agreement.

According to former prime minister Mahathir the project cost was cut by a third from the initial RM 4.93b to RM 3.16b. Singapore will be shouldering  61% of the costs while the remaining 39% will be on Malaysia.

Load More By Katherine S
Load More In Malaysia
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Check Also

Almost half of Myanmar’s population might become impoverished by 2022, UN said

Myanmar – Myanmar’s urban poverty is on track to quadruple next year, bringing…