In prevention of coronavirus, East Nusa Tenggara’s (NTT) has decided to temporarily close its border checkpoints with Timor Leste. According to that, the government of Timor Leste has expressed support to this neighbouring country to prevent the spread of the virus.
“We strongly support the move as it would protect both the Timor Leste and NTT people from COVID-19 exposure,” the Timor Leste consul in Kupang, Jesuino Dos Reis Matas C said on Monday, as quoted by Antara. He told that during a meeting to discuss the matter with NTT Governor Viktor Bungtilu Laisdokat.
Timor Leste so far has yet to report any COVID-19 case. Even though, Jesuino said the government was implementing strict health checks on inbound visitors.
On the Monday’s meeting, they agreed that the border would be closed for two months. Though, there are things that Timor Leste expressed hope the policy would not affect the distribution to the country, including staple food and fuel oil through border areas.
Earlier, NTT administration spokesperson Marius Ardu Jelamu said on Saturday that the administration would soon issue a decree to regulate the posts’ closure amid Covid-19 outbreak. “All of the posts will be guarded by security officers. This move is to be taken to prevent the spread of the virus,” he said.